Sunday, July 19, 2009

Family outing for Grandpa

Had a relaxing family outing for Grandpa (my Dad's) birthday yesterday afternoon. We caught a train from Bendigo train station and at 75kms and hour went to Echuca.

Perfect weather, the days are nearly falling into Spring. As you can see there was plenty of chatting and indulging and enjoying the mighty Murray.

I took the kids for a walk around the historical displays of steam engines, that cut up all those magnificent red gum. Kd said that the machines smelt like Pa's tractor. I didn't at first notice the smell - then memories rushed back to me. Hard concrete, the humm of a milking machine and that little room out the back of the cow shed and the motor that sat there. Dusty grease smells. My favourite always smell. Dad.

Today is a special day too as it is two years now since my Grandfather, my children's Great Grandfather passed away. I miss him. He was the grumpy of the grumpies.









1 comment:

  1. That is a brilliant description Tam, I am sad that I couldn't be there. Maybe it's cause I am listening to Helen singing, but makes me feel sentimental.

    Will be great when the wedding is over to go back to some sort of normality and make ourselves available for these sorts of trips

    ReplyDelete